Dates: July 1-September 1, 2019
Are you passionate about storytelling and capturing insightful advancements and experiences? Are you motivated and well-organized with excellent writing skills? STEM Caribbean is seeking an enthusiastic and creative junior writer intern to write weekly articles on exciting facts, stories, and advancements in STEM in the Caribbean region and the world.
The Intern will:
- Produce and fact-check well-researched content for online publication
- Be responsible for writing insightful and engaging 200-1000 word articles every week
- Organize writing schedules to complete drafts and finished projects within deadlines
- Use search engine optimization (SEO) strategies in writing to maximize the online visibility of a website in search results
- Keep up to date with STEM-related social media platforms in the Caribbean and the rest of the world
- Work closely and 100% online with the Research, Marketing, and Social Media teams.
STEM Caribbean is a digital organization, established in 2013, to educate, enlighten, and entertain anyone interested in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM).
- To promote Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) in the Caribbean
- To highlight and celebrate careers, advances, developments and key figures in STEM locally, regionally and internationally
- To inform STEM enthusiasts of national, regional and international opportunities related to STEM
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred but not required
- Possess a personal computer with access to an internet connection and Microsoft Office or other similar word editing program
- Proven writing skills and experience. School projects will be considered, and professional work is a plus
- Interest in the storytelling and educational aspects of STEM
- Familiar with current trends in STEM and the arts
- Some knowledge of the Caribbean and its culture is a plus
- Self-starter / entrepreneurial spirit
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal skills with a high level of professionalism
- Flexible and adaptable; open to change, learning, and improvement
- Ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to consistently produce high-quality work while meeting deadlines
- Ability to work independently, but also as an effective member of a team. Attention to detail is required
This internship requires a 2-month part-time commitment to working remotely with weekly virtual team meetings.
Send resume and cover letter to email@example.com in one email titled Internship Application: Junior Writer by June 21, 2019. In your cover letter, tell us about yourself and what makes you unique. Why do you want to work for STEM Caribbean? If you get the position, what ideas do you have to write attention-grabbing content and improve our publications?
Also, include writing samples in email attachments.
This unpaid internship is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable experience working for a social impact startup dedicated to educating, enlightening, and entertaining anyone interested in STEM. The Intern can expect to take on real responsibilities and acquire and develop practical knowledge about journalism, research, and social entrepreneurship.
Hours per week:
• Minimum 10hrs/wk Maximum 15hrs/wk